Phillip Maus purchased 600 acres of land in what is now Montour County before General William [...]
The Boyd House, located at 19 Bloom Street in Danville was purchased in 2010 to expand the Society’s exhibition and storage spaces, and hopefully to provide meeting facilities for presentations and community events.
The home was built in the early 1880’s by Daniel Montgomery Boyd, grandson of Daniel Montgomery and great grandson of William Montgomery, founder of Danville. The family was in residence until 1920 when it was purchased by the Danville Elks #754 in 1923. Over the years the Elks added a two story structure and further renovations took place in 1950 and 1960. In 1999 the Elks built and relocated to a new modern building on Rt. 11 which left the Boyd House empty for the first time since Daniel Montgomery Boyd built his home. The building has had several owners but needed some attention to bring it back to its glory.
Purchasing the Boyd Home has not only brought a new museum to reality, and has rescued one of Danville’s historic buildings. The completed ‘Military Room’ touted as one of the best military collections in northeastern PA and the stately ‘Front Victorian Parlor’ opened 2 years ago and our newest room, the ‘Business & Industry Room’ is now open for visitors. This room has collections relating to the very important mining and iron industry that was prominent in the Danville area for one hundred years. There are items from past hotels and Montour Co businesses thru the years. A display of an advertising back drop from the old Opera House is a must see. Our 2022 visiting hours are Sundays 1pm-4pm until October, or by appointment during the winter season, $10 admission fee for non-members; members, children and students through 12th grade are free. (please ask about any fees for groups) Please help the renovations continue by donating to the Boyd House Fund, PO Box 8, Danville, PA 17821.
Address: 19 Bloom Street, Danville, PA